Sunday, May 14, 2006

Where did I put my Inca Pot?

I just saw a new TV ad for the Pontiac car company. To direct you to their web site, they advise you to "Google Pontiac." Now, Google is a marvel of the modern world, and hugely useful if you don't know the address of a website. But I assume that the people at the Pontiac car company know the address of the Pontiac web site. It's "pontiac.com!" Why don't they just say "Go to Pontiac.com?"

If it was even something other than "pontiac.com,' if it was "cars.pontiaccarcompany.org/index.html," then sure "Google Pontiac." Sometimes, if I need to direct someone to a site that doesn't have a simple address, I'll tell them to Google it. Need to find an anagram? Google "anagram" to find the "Internet Anagram Server." It's the first listing. The full address is "http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/," which is not so easy to read over the phone. ("Inca Pot" is an anagram for "Pontiac")

And while we're on the subject of TV ads, there's one for Wachovia bank, with a testimonial from a customer who left his son's passport in his safety deposit box, and they needed it early the next morning to go abroad, so they called their friendly Wachovia banker who opens up the bank in the middle of the night!

First of all, no. Not gonna happen. Mr. Drysdale would take care of the cattle for Jed, he might even arrange for dates for Jethro, but even he wouldn't open the bank in the middle of the night. This cannot possibly be a true story.

And even if it is, I don't want to put my money in a bank that just opens up the vault any time of day, willy-nilly, pell-mell, helter-skelter! I'm going to start my own bank. Our slogan "Locked all night!"

I do love those DirecTV ads with the movie scenes though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»