Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Connection Between "Turtle" and "Mock"

The word "Mock' has a few uses, things it can describe, for instance, a "Mock Trial." I guess. But it's two most common uses also involve the word "Turtle" as part of the phrase.

"Mock Turtle Soup"

"Mock Turtleneck"

Which makes me think of that Cole Porter song "At Long Last Love" ("Is it the good turtle soup, or merely the mock?")

And that lyric is not a good example, because it doesn't really bother me, I actually enjoy it, but usually, when people refer to something by the adjective it drives me nuts. For instance, if Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes were playing down the shore, if you said "Hey, let's get tickets for Southside!" I'd say, "Oh, you mean Johnny?" Crap. I wish I could think of a better example.

ah well

"Is it Grenada I see, or only Asbury Park?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mock Apple Pie