Sunday, July 02, 2006

Super-Science

Here's the thing. Sometimes a little knowledge ruins it for you. Like if you're fixing someone's laptop and you see the wrong pictures. But that's not what this is about (see previous/next entry). I'm talking about those crime tv shows, where they use science to solve crimes. I know a little about science, but I don't read the journals enough to call Bulls(clap)Hit! on the DNA stuff, or the ballistics stuff. But I do know a little bit more about digital photos, and I can't stand it when they take the blurry reflection of someone's eyeball off of a six-month-old store security video and blow it up into the small print on a car-rental contract. ("Look! If you blow up the reflection of that eyeball you can read the rider on that contract that doesn't allow a second driver! He must be lying!")

In the mostly obscured picture below, could you somehow extrapolate a full-on picture of whoever is behind the blurry closed eyes and have him (or her) stalked and arrested? I don't think so. But you never know...

No comments: