Wednesday, July 12, 2006

How to keep your building from exploding

Yesterday we had photos of the building that blew up. It's looking like the guy who owned the building, and lived there, did it on purpose and got blown up with the building. Maybe intentionally, maybe not.

A couple of weeks ago, I came back from out of town. I had been visiting my twin nieces. One is Italian, so she would have been very excited by the World Cup final, but she's only one year old so is not a huge soccer fan yet.

I get home, and there's a note on my door. The landlord had to change my locks. (even though I had given him a spare key, which he lost). There had been a gas leak! Not exactly in our building, I believe they had been doing some road work in front. They fixed whatever was wrong, but in the process, they of course had to shut off the gas for the building.

In order to turn the gas back on for the building, the gas company has to check every single apartment. I guess they have to make sure that no one came home while it was off, tried to turn on the stove, but it wouldn't come on because the gas is off, but they forget and leave it turned on, and then when the gas for the building comes back on, the gas on the stove comes on and the building explodes again. Or maybe the gas can get backed up and pop the cylinders loose...When the guy came to check my apartment later (they weren't able to check it when I wasn't there and they changed the locks, why I don't know...) anyway, when they checked my apartment the gas company guy pulled out my stove and had some liquid he sprayed around like a CSI dude...

So I guess it's going to be a while before the folks who live on the block on 62nd St. with the blown-up building will only have cold water in their showers for a while...

5 comments:

Sam said...

If your stove or oven uses pilot lights, when the gas is shut off and turned back on the pilot lights need to be lit again. Otherwise, you will come home to an apartment full of gas. This happened in my last apartment. My landlord forgot about the pilot lights in my apartment after she had work done on the gas lines in her house. Needless to say, I was less than thrilled.

Cake said...

Hang on a sec...you have twin nieces but only one is Italian? You getting clever with us, RobotBoy?

Anonymous said...

Yea, I wondered about that one italian niece too... is the other niece spanish? german? were they born on an airplane, one in italian airspace, the other over another country?
Or perhaps they were born months apart like these twins in the news recently?

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Especially I like the first site. But other links are informative too, if you are interested check all those links.http://indexmachine.info/342.html and http://googleindex.info/731.html