Monday, August 21, 2006

Politics again. Dammit.

I've got a new idea about Iraq. We've been told that our options are to "stay the course" or to "cut and run." But I think they are actually the same thing.

"Stay the course" is a metaphor. The army is not on a giant boat somewhere, what I assume is meant by "stay the course" is to follow the original plan. To not change horses in the middle of the stream. Alright then. We follow the original plan. Dance with the girl that brung ya.

So here's the thing. All of us lefties like to talk about the "Lies" that got us into the war. And by "Lies" I of course mean "Honestly believed information based on the best intelligence we had at the time, that happened to not turn out to be as accurate as we had hoped." But that's a little wordy so I'm just going to use the word "Lies" and you all will know what I mean.

The Lie that we most often hear about is the weapons of mass destruction. Because it's the obvious one; we haven't found any. It's simple. But we forget the other big Lie, that this would be easy, that we would be greeted as liberators, that all we had to do was drag Saddam out of his spider-hole and democracy would instantly fill the void. "We zip in, we zip out, nobody gets hurt. It'll be like going into Wisconsin!"

See where I'm going here? The original plan, as presented to We the People, was to go in quick and to get out quick. So yes, we should stay the course, follow the original plan and get out.

I know. We can't just up and leave. That would be rude. But let's not pretend we're "staying the course," because really, what the hell does that mean?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For you both:

http://www.radrobot.org/

Bemisdown said...

I don't mind being rude. I think we should just pretend we went to the wrong Frat house for a party, and say "OOOPS. Sorry. We'll be going now." I think that would work perfectly.

And Robot Boy, I transcribed the entire Great Lunch Debate at your request, regardless of the considerable danger to my own life. It's amazingly stupid and very much worth reading.

stuckwithacomb said...

Its kill or be kicked!

Bemisdown said...

I think the entire Islamic world will be very intimidated by your comb....I mean your expensive deadly knife.

Cake said...

I might be nervous of it if it was a robot switchblade comb. Maybe.

Cake said...

On second thought...naaaaaaah. Nobody's afraid of robots.